Battle on the Blueway to Benefit Special Olympics at Crescent Beach Family Park This Saturday
Jun 07, 2017 08:17PM
● By Kevin
Photo courtesy of The Great Calusa Blueway on Facebook (facebook.com/TheGreatCalusaBlueway).
In its third year, the event is a World Paddle Association Region 5 sanctioned points race. Distances include 2 and 7 miles, as well as a free race for children under 12. The event is put on by the Lee County Parks and Recreation Department and the SWFL SUP Club.
Participants can register online at paddleguru.com or in person by Friday, June 9, at packet pick-up. Registration is $55 to $65 depending on the class. The event is free to attend for spectators. In lieu of prizes for race winners, the organizers decided to donate to the Special Olympics. Last year's event saw more than 150 competitors.
Outfitters are set to be in attendance to demo products and equipment. There will also be raffles and live music all day.
Information courtesy of Fort Myers Beach Bulletin, Fort Myers Beach Observer.
- 6:30 - 9:30 p.m. Packet Pickup / Social at Point Ybel Brewing.
- Racers will receive on free Paddle Hard Pale Ale brewed for race.
- Please pick up your packet, shirt, and swag bag tonight. We will start on time on Saturday.
- 7:30 - 8 a.m. Check in
- 8:30 a.m. Racer’s Meeting
- 9 a.m. Ron Jon Pro 7 Mile Race and Open Class - (Kayaks, OC's, surf-skis, prone) Start
- 9:05 a.m. Body Glove 2 Mile Race and Open Class - (Kayaks, OC's, surf-skis, prone) Start
- 9 a.m. - 2 p.m. Demo Day
- 10:45 a.m. Special Olympic / Calusa Kids Races
- 11 a.m. - Lunch - will be made by Bobby's Bangin' BOB-B-QUE
- 1 p.m. - Awards (On-Site)
- 6:30 - 10 p.m. After party at Pete's Time Out- Live music and free drink and discounted food for racers and volunteers.
*Raffle Prizes Throughout The Day (Benefiting Special Olympics)
Information courtesy of PaddleGuru.com.
Special Olympics Information
- Special Olympics provides year-round sports training and competition to children and adults 8 years of age and older with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- Athletes are also invited to participate in Athlete Leadership and Healthy Athletes programs.
- The organization currently offers 9 sports and serves 1,382 athletes throughout Lee County.
- More than 480 people from the community give their time to volunteer each year.
Special Olympics Florida
1915 Don Wickham Drive
Clermont, FL 34711
Be sure to include “Lee County” on the memo line. Donations are tax deductible.
Information courtesy of Special Olympics Florida - Lee County.
The Battle on the Blueway will be held June 10th and 11th, on the Calusa Blueway in Fort Myers Beach, FL. This sanctioned WPA points event will feature three distance races. The Ron Jon 7... Read More »